Sharing my life and love of cross stitch. Thoughts about this and that.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

First Christmas Without Mom

Of course brought aching hearts and many tears. She passed 6 months ago yesterday. My DD, her DH and I attended Christmas Eve services then went to Dad's close-by house to enjoy what's become a traditional lasagna dinner my DD had made. I took a loaf of  tasty Asiago cheese bread that was made even better with butter and garlic salt. The combination was really good with lasagna! Then Dad decided to try it with peanut butter, and declared it yummy as well. Christmas morning it was back to church. Then afterwards to my DD's where she served BBQ brisket and cheese potatoes, my sister brought cole slaw, rolls and wine. Dad brought his French beans and stewed tomatoes mixture along with the traditional family "float" - one that began at least as far back as his mother in the 20's and 30's - likely passed down to her as well. It's similar to Eggnog but without the nog and a billion times better. By request, I took Velveeta (for Rotel dip) and some chips. DD had also made a pumpkin cheesecake of her own concoction and gluten-free chocolate cookies for herself and flourless peanut butter cookies for me, who is allergic to chocolate and most spices and thus couldn't eat the pumpkin cheesecake - though I did try a teeny nibble. It was delicious. As strange as it may seem, as we got in the car to leave I turned to my Dad and said something like, all things considered "It was a good day."  He thought a moment then agreed. We managed warm and cozy despite Mom's keenly and deeply missed absence. Sadly, in our own continuing grief, we keep forgetting my SIL lost his mother only 4 months ago as well. She lived in Florida and I had only met her briefly twice. I hope both mothers were looking down and feeling very proud of us all. A Blessed and Happy Christmas, Mom and Barbara!

Progress on PS 1993 Santa
I made these two on the left into very small ornies to go on the 18" Christmas tree I'd given my DD back in college that I had made other small cross stitch ornies for years ago, only to discover that this year, for the first time in 20, she'd used little store bought ornaments instead.  I gave Dad the Bah Humbug ornie I'd initially intended for myself. Thankfully, he chuckled when he saw it. I'll make myself another. No photos. I didn't like the way they turned out, even pulling one apart and starting over on Christmas Eve, so I'm going to have to come up with a better way to make them.

No comments:

Photobucket