Sharing my life and love of cross stitch. Thoughts about this and that.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Finally stitching again - Nice freebie site with tutorials


I finally completed this Janlynn Flower of the Month freebie last week! Sorry my camera isn't working so this image is from that website. Stitched on 32-ct potato linen. Haven't decided whether to make into ornament, put in small circular frame, or maybe make a 2-year calendar cover out of it. If the cover, then I'd have to add fabric to top and bottom to fit. If you haven't seen instructions for that simple project, read through the 123MB posts here.

I have wanted to stitch this Marjolein Bastin design for years. It only came in a kit, and I don't care for kits. I had posted a ISO post on the 123MB for just the chart with intent to purchase or trade, and was amazed to receive not only the original chart, but in its original kit (minus threads and fabric) as a PIF! Thank you! Thank You, Carry!! I started it Saturday and am already about 1/2 way through. I don't know if it's because I'm stitching on white 32-ct linen, or because I decided to stitch with just one thread over 2 (which has worked well for me with other florals), or simply the difference between the visual printed or .jpg image and the stitched version, but the colors just aren't as vivid nor are they the same shades as those pictured either here or on the glossy print part of the kit. What appears to be dark greens behind the flowers are actually 413-414-3799 dark grays. The blue in the flowers are the 341 cornflower series. The lightest "blue" is really 762 silver and barely visible. What appears to be white, is in fact white. The vase colors are 930-932. I'm seriously considering going back and adding an extra top cross to the single threads in the hopes that the colors differentiate a LOT better and hopefully stand out more. I've already done that with the few 3345 & 3347 green stitches, as well as the yellow and golden flower centers already. Or maybe I need to add some back stitching - even less thrilled with that idea. Like I said, I have to admit at present I'm somewhat disappointed in the design color choices as well as my stitching choices.

Cross Stitch Pro: Here's a site with many freebie of charts and instructions for making check book covers, book marks, a new no-sew vase cover and no-sew flat fold, etc.!! (06-13-2011 Link no longer works and am unable to google site so it may have been taken down. If you can connect, please let me know.)

No comments:

Photobucket